May 5, 2023
Mark interviews Lisa M. Lilly, writer, attorney, and podcaster
about story structure and the idea that writers don't need to make
full time writing a priority or goal.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares comments from recent
episodes and a thank you to those who support this podcast at
During their conversation, Mark and Lisa talk about:
- The mysteries and supernatural thrillers that Lisa writes, the
non-fiction books for authors, and the podcast that she hosts
- How Lisa continues to practice Law, but is no longer doing it
- Writing not having to be a full-time thing, and Lisa's latest
book "Fiction Writing as Your Second Career"
- The kind of Law that Lisa practices
- The "floating around" that Lisa did when she had too much free
time when completely away from the responsibilities of the "day
- Lisa's "Awakening" series which is described as a cross between
Rosemary's Baby and The Davinci Code
- How sometimes a small plot or story idea might be inspired by a
real-life case Lisa has worked on or heard about
- Lisa's book "Super Simple Story Structure" and how it related
to her passion and knowledge of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and that
led to the basis for her podcast
- Things Lisa learned about doing the podcast weekly the first
year, then every second week during the second year
- The decision of whether to quit doing a thing or to try doing
it a different way
- Considering your writing as a 2nd career rather than as a
- The powerful impact of allowing yourself to "daydream"
- Advice that Lisa would offer to authors who is balancing their
full time work, a busy personal life and their writing
- If you can't set a habit by day or time, then add some other
sort of habit to help trigger your brain that it's "time to
- What's next for Lisa
- And more...
After the interview, Mark reflects on the important perspective
that not all writers need to aspire to writing full time, as well
as the passion behind creative projects (which seems to be a recent
common theme in his world).
Links of Interest:
An author, attorney, and podcaster, Lisa M.
Lilly is the author of the Q.C. Davis mysteries and the
bestselling four-book Awakening supernatural thriller series.
Writing as L. M. Lilly, her books on writing include The
One-Year Novelist: A Week-By-Week Guide To Writing Your Novel
In One Year, Super Simple Story Structure:
A Quick Guide To Plotting & Writing Your Novel;
and Fiction Writing As Your Second Career. She
also hosts the podcast Buffy and the Art of Story.
The introductory, end, and bumper music for this podcast
(“Laser Groove”) was composed and produced by Kevin MacLeod of
www.incompetech.com and is
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0