Jan 14, 2022
Mark interview Michelle Rowen/Morgan Rhodes about her different
pen names, the genres she writes, her publishing journey, and her
latest novel, ECHOES & EMPIRES.
Prior to the main content, Mark shares comments from recent
episodes, a personal update that includes devastating news of the
loss of a writer friend, along with some good news related to his
writing, the results of a recent Chirp audiobook promotion, and a
word about this episode's sponsor.
You can learn more about
how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library
systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In their conversation, Mark and Michelle talk about:
- ECHOES AND EMPIRES, Michelle's new alt-world fantasy under the
name Morgan Rhodes
- Michelle's thoughts on the difference between her Michelle
Rowen and Morgan Rhodes pseudonyms and the different genres under
- Being inspired by Buffy's drama, action, and humor
- The "fallen princess" phase or theme that keeps coming up in
her writing lately
- The way the covers properly and effectively highlight the genre
similarities and differences
- Michelle's prolific 4 to 5 books a year era when she was
writing her paranormal chick-lit style lighter Michelle Rowen
books, and how that changed to 1 book a year working on the Fallen
- The lead time on trad publishing and how it differs from indie
- Getting her first starred review from School Library
- The challenge of not revealing the many plot twists in her
novels when she talks about them with media
- Getting rights back on some of her previously traditionally
published titles and the steps and work involved in re-launching
them, including having to re-edit them based on updated
- Michelle's dreams of being a writer (Romancing the Stone)
versus the reality
- Her discovery of the power of plotting (verses pantsing)
- Advice Michelle would give to new writers
- Michelle's take on "write what you know"
- And more...
After the interview Mark reflects on Michelle's dedication to
her fans and her professionalism.
Links of Interest:
Morgan Rhodes is the New York Times bestselling
author of the YA high fantasy Falling Kingdoms series, and loves to
write about the epic adventures of the quirky, interesting
characters who inhabit her imagination. She also writes as
Michelle Rowen, a bestselling and award-winning
author of over two dozen novels. A former graphic designer drawn to
sparkly objects and fancy handbags, Morgan lives in Ontario,
Canada, where she maintains a very healthy belief in all things
magical. Her latest novel is Echoes and Empires, a young adult
alt-world fantasy published by Razorbill Books.
The introductory, end, and bumper music for this podcast
(“Laser Groove”) was composed and produced by Kevin MacLeod of
www.incompetech.com and is
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0