Jun 10, 2022
Mark interviews Lizbeth Meredith an award-winning author,
speaker, and online teacher living in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Her
memoir Pieces of Me has been adapted as Stolen By
Their Father for Lifetime Television and was released earlier
Prior to the interview, Mark thanks his patrons, talks about a
cool Kickstarter that one of his patrons, Holger Nils Pohl is
running, and shares a word about this episode's sponsor.
You can learn more about
how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library
systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During their chat, Mark and Lizbeth talk about:
- Lizbeth's earliest melodramatic poetry writing when she was
- Why and how the writing helped when she started to think of her
life as a story
- Realizing how Lizbeth's PIECES OF ME is just one of an endless
number of stories of survival and resilience
- Her story of looking over two years of her children being
abducted and taken away by their non-custodial father
- The importance of community for writers as well as for people
- Being told, when sharing her first draft "You know, this
doesn't HAVE to be published"
- Positive feedback from agents who loved her manuscript but
would be unable to take it on
- Deciding to publish with a hybrid publisher (a publisher that
charges authors for all the publishing costs)
- Learning about writers grants to be able to take advantage of
and applying for them
- How applying for a grant helps a writer learn how to pitch
- Having her book optioned by Canadian company Cineflex
- The lengthy timelines that it took in order to get the option
- The movie name being re-adapted from the book title to "Stolen
by Their Father"
- The release date of the 2022 movie lining up with the
anniversary of the date Lizbeth left her husband
- Some of the other writing projects Lizbeth is working on
- Lizbeth's podcast, Persistence U with Lizbeth
- Advice Lizbeth would offer to her younger self or beginning
- And more...
After the interview, Mark reflects on Lizbeth's business
decision on how she would publish, recognizing the skills she
already had with skills from the hybrid publisher she chose. He
also reflects on her pointing out the value of community.
Links of Interest:
Lizbeth Meredith is an author living in
Chattanooga, Tennessee after more than 5 decades in Alaska. Her
memoir, Pieces of Me: Rescuing My Kidnapped Daughters, has been
adapted as Stolen By Their Father for Lifetime Television.
Lizbeth is a speaker and online teacher who enjoys coaching and
consulting part-time, a fun addition after three-decades career
serving crime victims and offenders. In her off- time, Lizbeth
enjoys movies at the theater, talking with podcast guests at
Persistence U with Lizbeth, and Facetime chats with her adult
daughters and grand-pets.
The introductory, end, and bumper music for this podcast
(“Laser Groove”) was composed and produced by Kevin MacLeod of
www.incompetech.com and is
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0